Interesting Facts About Chocolate
This Chocolate Week we would like to share with you some interesting facts about our favourite treat- Chocolate!
1. Chocolate was believed to be to man as a gift from the god Quetzalcoatl who taught them how to dry, roast and grind the seeds of the cacao fruit.
2. A jewel thief made off with $28 million dollars of gems in 2007 because he was able to gain the trust of the guards working the bank in Antwerp, Belgium, by repeatedly offering them chocolate.
3. The blood in Psycho’s famous shower scene was actually chocolate syrup.
4. The scientific name for the tree that chocolate comes from, Theobroma cacao, means food of the gods.
5. There is a rare fourth kind of chocolate in addition to the classic milk, dark, and white varieties: blond chocolate.
6. Roald Dahl got inspiration for Charlie and the Chocolate factory as a boy. His school was located next door to a chocolate factory and his class were asked to be chocolate testers for the NPD department. This an obsession was born.
7. The first chocolate bar was invented in 1866 by Fry’s of Harrogate with the chocolate cream still available in shops today.
We hope you enjoyed these facts and will treat yourself with a nice piece of chocolate!